The countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council — the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait and Qatar — are both a strong base and a key market for Tata companies.
The Tata footprint in the region was established in the early 1990s and has been steadily increasing since then. The main industry segments are IT, communications, hospitality, engineering, steel, power and chemicals. Several Tata brands have established a firm reputation, further driving the Tata presence in the area.
Some of the major Tata companies having businesses in the region are:
- Tata Consultancy Services operates in Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman, Qatar and Bahrain, offering IT consulting, IT services and its own products in the banking and insurance sector to clients in government, telecom, energy, utilities and financial services.
- Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces operates the Taj Palace Hotel in Dubai and is developing the Taj Exotica Resort and Spa, a luxury resort at the Palm Island Jumeriah crescent in Dubai.
- Voltas has a big presence in the UAE with its electro-mechanical contracting business for race tracks, theme parks, hotels, airports, palaces, hospitals, defence, district cooling plants and commercial, shopping and office complexes. It has established many joint ventures and subsidiaries in the region to undertake electro-mechanical projects and related maintenance works.
- Tata Communications is constructing a new TGN-Gulf cable system in partnership with several major telecommunications operators in the Middle East, which will act as a gateway to the TGN network connecting the region with reliable high-speed bandwidth to all the key cities of the world.
- Tata Consulting Engineers has a subsidiary, TCE QSTP-LLC based in Doha, Qatar, that focuses on research work related to nano technology, software oriented activities, 3D modelling and applied research pertaining to energy, water and material science.
- Tata Motors has developed a fast growing market for its medium and heavy trucks and buses through a well-established distributor network in the region.
- Tata International’s subsidiary, Tata West Asia FZE, based in Dubai, looks after the operations in the Middle East region and spearheads the steel trading activity of the company. It also engages in trading of minerals, chemicals and engineering products.
- Titan has significant sales presence in the area - the brand currently holds the No 2 position in the Middle East, and is a market leader in Oman and Bahrain.
- Tata Global Beverages has a presence with its Tetley, Tata Tea and Kanan Devan brands.
- Tata Elxsi and Tata Interactive Systems have sales offices in the region.