areas of business | joint ventures, subsidiaries, associates | location
Tata Chemicals (TCL) is the second largest producer of soda ash in the world. It is India's market leader in the branded and iodised salt segment as well as in urea and phosphatic fertilisers.
Established in 1939 at Mithapur in the Indian state of Gujarat, TCL has, over the last few years, invested in increasing its stake in the global soda ash business. It has acquired UK-based Brunner Mond group and American company General Chemical Industrial Products Inc, making the conglomerate the second largest soda ash producer in the world.
The company also makes food additives and fertilisers and has a varied user industry base comprising glass, paper, textiles, food additives, petroleum, refining, chemicals, dyes, pesticides, direct farm application, etc. It exports to markets in Europe, Africa, South East Asia and the Middle East.
Areas of business
- Chemicals: The range of chemicals produced at the company’s integrated complex at Mithapur includes soda ash, caustic soda, salt, cement, sodium bicarbonate, bromine and bromine based compounds and gypsum.
- Fertilisers: The company manufactures nitrogenous fertilisers at the Babrala plant. The company’s plant at Haldia produces phosphatic fertilisers like di-ammonium phosphate, NPK complexes and single super phosphate.
- Food additives: TCL’s food additives business has two premium products: branded salt and sodium bicarbonate. TCL manufactures four varieties of salt, iodised salt, crystalline salt, vacuum salt and pure salt, and has over 40 per cent market share in the branded salt segment in India.
- Agri-services: The company has set up a network of Tata Kisan Sansars (or Tata farmer centres) in the northern Indian states of Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana and Uttaranchal. The centres are one-stop resource centres for farmers
Joint ventures, subsidiaries, associates
- Tata Chemicals Europe (the former Brunner Mond group, acquired in 2006): The UK-based company is Europe's second largest soda ash business.
- Tata Chemicals North America (the former General Chemical Industrial Products Inc acquired in 2008): US-based soda ash manufacturer.
- Khet Se Agriproduce India: A 50:50 joint venture set up in 2007 with Total Produce, Ireland, the third largest fruits and vegetable distribution company in the world, to start a fruits and vegetables distribution business in India.
- Indo Maroc Phosphore SA: An equal partnership with Chambal Fertilisers and global phosphate major, OCP of Morocco; set up in 2005.
TCL is headquartered in Mumbai, India. The soda ash plants are located in India, the UK, Kenya and the US. TCL's cement and salt facilities are in Mithapur, the nitrogenous fertiliser facility is in Babrala and the phosphatic fertiliser plant is in Haldia.